Print this page

FCS 290H1F
Special Topics in FCS I: Contemporary French Jewry

Instructor:

P. Bovy

Description:

This interdisciplinary course presents the situation of contemporary French Jews, using recent events in the news (principally the 2015 attacks) as a starting point. This course covers the demographics and politics of the current French Jewish population. From that overview, it moves on to the cultural, intellectual, and religious life of French Jewry. While the focus is on the vast majority of French Jews who are staying put in France, the course also addresses French Jewish emigration to Israel and elsewhere, looking both at the figures and the coverage. The course situates contemporary French Jewry in the context both of French Jewish history and of contemporary France.

Required texts: Books: Michel Houellebecq, Submission (2015), extracts; Maud S. Mandel, Muslims and Jews in France: History of a Conflict (2014); Joann Sfarr, The Rabbi’s Cat (2007)

Film: Karin Albou, “La Petite Jérusalem” (2005);

Press (including but not limited to): David A. Bell, “Trapped by History: France and Its Jews” (World Affairs, 2009): http://www.worldaffairsjournal.org/article/trapped-history-france-and-its-jews; Jeffrey Goldberg, “Is It Time for the Jews to Leave Europe?” (The Atlantic, 2015): http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/is-it-time-for-the-jews-to-leave-europe/386279/; Natasha Lehrer, “The Threat to France’s Jews” (The Guardian, 2015): http://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/jan/15/-sp-threat-to-france-jews; Joan Nathan, “French Twist” (Tablet, 2012): http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/89384/french-twist

Assignments and evaluation: Paper #1, 3-4 pages: 20%; Midterm exam, 20%; Paper #2, 4-5 pages: 20%’ Overall Assessment: 10%; Final exam: 30%.

Prerequisite: None.

 

This course is found in the following categories:

 

May
Mai
2017

< Prev Next >
SMTWTFS
DLMMJVS
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Revue Arborescences

Considérant que rien de ce qui touche la langue française ne lui est étranger, la revue Arborescences se veut un espace de réflexion sur les enjeux actuels des études françaises aussi bien en littérature, en linguistique qu’en didactique.

History of the Department

French Studies at the University of Toronto 1853-1993